900g parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 pears, peeled and chopped
1 onion, diced
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
750 mL vegetable stock
500 mL unsweetened almond drink
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/200ºC fan/gas 7.
2. After chopping the parsnips and pears, place in a bowl with 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Place the coated vegetables on a baking tray and roast until very soft and browned, approximately 30 to 45 minutes, stirring and checking every 10 minutes.
4. In a large saucepan add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, onion and celery and sauté until tender. Add in the roasted parsnips and pears and 500 mL of vegetable stock.
5. Using a hand blender, puree until smooth. Alternatively, puree the parsnips and pears with 250-500 mL of stock in a blender and then add into the saucepan.
6. Once pureed, add the remaining stock and almond drink. You can add more or less liquid to reach desired consistency.
7. Let the soup simmer and serve once heated through, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Vega