8 Fairburn’s eggs
450g good quality sausage meat
200g black pudding, finely diced
2 tsp dried sage (optional)
50g plain flour
Ground black pepper
Splash of milk
150g white fine breadcrumbs
Sunflower oil for deep frying
1. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, add 6 of the eggs and cook for 5½ minutes. Drain, immediately place in iced water and tap both ends of the eggs so that they crack as this will stop the cooking process. Once cool, carefully peel the eggs.
2. Fork together the sausage meat, black pudding and sage and divide into 6 equal sized balls.
3. Put the flour into a bowl and season with salt and black pepper. In another bowl, beat the remaining 2 eggs together with a splash of milk. Tip the breadcrumbs into a third bowl and arrange the bowls into an assembly line.
4. Press each portion of sausage meat mix around an egg and roll gently into neat balls. Coat each ball in the seasoned flour, followed by the beaten egg (ensuring that the egg covers all the flour) and finally coat in the breadcrumbs.
5. Deep fry a couple of eggs at a time in the oil at 170°C for 6-7 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove from the oil and allow to drain on kitchen paper.
6. Serve either hot or cold.
Recipe by Rachel Green for Fairburn’s Eggs