1 - 2 Pink Lady® apples
3 firm plums
50g soft brown sugar
1 tbsp milk
180g butter, room temperature
180g caster sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
180g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. Lightly grease and flour a 9" round springform cake tin and line base with a circle of baking parchment.
2. Slice apples and plums thinly and set aside.
3. Melt 25g of butter and 50g of soft brown sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar is starting to dissolve. Add 1 tbsp milk and cook until mixture is bubbling and homogenous. Pour into cake tin and cool slightly.
4. Arrange Pink Lady® apple slices and plum slices over base, starting at the centre and working outwards (remembering that the design will be upside down).
5. Preheat oven to 375 F.
6. Using a fork, mix flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
7. Beat 180g butter and 180g caster sugar together in a large bowl with a hand mixer, until light and fluffy - this will take 4 - 5 minutes. Add in one egg at a time, beating well between each addition to ensure that the egg is incorporated into the butter mixture. Using a spatula, gently fold in 1/2 of the flour mixture. Stir in 2 tbsp of milk and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Gently fold in remaining flour mixture.
8. Using a dessert spoon, gently dollop batter into the cake tin, being careful not to disturb fruit arrangement. Level batter using the back of the spoon.
9. Place in oven and bake for 30 - 40 minutes. Test for doneness at 30 minutes, using a toothpick - if the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is ready.
10. Cool the cake slightly in the tin. Using a thin knife, ensure cake isn't sticking to the sides. Open the springform tin and remove the sides. Invert the cake onto a wire rack and remove the base of the tin. Gently pull off the parchment paper to reveal the caramel and cooked fruit.
Recipe courtesy of Pink Lady®