450g Plain flour
½ tsp Salt
For the filling
2 Egg yolks
50g Caster sugar
½ tsp Vanilla extract
25g Plain flour
225g Mixed summer berries
Icing sugar, for sprinkling
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and rub in the Trex with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add three to four tbsp chilled water and mix in with a round-bladed knife until the pastry clings together. Form the dough into a ball, then wrap and chill for 10 minutes
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/Gas Mark 6
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line six 10cm (4in) individual tartlet tins. Line each one with a piece of crumpled foil or baking paper and baking beans and bake ‘blind’ (i.e. without a filling) for 15-20 minutes.
4. For the filling, put the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, flour and milk into a saucepan. Heat slowly, whisking constantly, until the sauce is smooth and thick. Cool a little, stirring to prevent a skin from forming
5. Take the tarts from the oven and remove the foil or baking paper and beans. Share the sauce between them and leave until cold
6. Top each tart with fresh berries, then serve, sprinkled with a little icing sugar.
Recipe courtesy of Trex