For the pastry: (or buy prepared short crust pastry)
300g plain flour
100g ground walnuts
120g unsaturated fat spread e.g. sunflower spread, chilled and cubed
Pinch of salt
15ml cold water
For the filling:
4 to 5 chicory pieces
½ lemon, juice only
1 shallot, chopped
A few sprigs of lemon thyme
1 tbsp of olive oil
250ml Alpro Soya Cuisine plant-based alternative to cream
A couple of pinches of salt
100g blue cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180°C / gas 4.
2. Place the flour, ground walnuts, a pinch of salt and the unsaturated spread in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (Alternatively, place the flour, ground walnuts, a pinch of salt and the spread into a bowl and rub in the fat until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs). Add the water and mix until the dough comes together (do not over mix or over knead). Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and let it rest for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
3. Roll out the pastry and line a flan dish. If you are using prepared pastry, sprinkle the ground walnuts on the surface of the pastry and press down gently.
4. Prick the surface with a fork, line with parchment paper and baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes, remove the baking beans and parchment and bake for a further 10 minutes until light golden.
5. Prepare the filling whilst the pastry is resting and baking.
For the filling:
1. Remove the outer leaves of the chicory and hollow out the base of the chicory with the tip of a sharp knife. Cut the chicory into five equal pieces and sprinkle with lemon juice.
2. Quarter the mushrooms and cook with the chopped shallot and lemon thyme in the olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Whisk the eggs into the Alpro Soya Cuisine and season with a pinch of grated nutmeg and a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Arrange the chicory and mushrooms pieces over the pastry base and pour over the Alpro Soya Cuisine mixture. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese, lemon thyme and season with freshly ground pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Alpro