70g of butter
250ml of milk
10g dried yeast (1 1/2 sachets)
70g of sugar
1 teaspoon gingerbread spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
Zest of a lemon - use the Microplane® Premium Classic Zester
Zest of an orange - use the Microplane® Premium Classic Zester
For the filling:
50 g raisins
60g mixed peel
or 100g cranberries, chopped
For the topping:
2-3 tablespoons flour and 2-3 tablespoons water
1. Melt the butter and add milk. Let it cool until lukewarm.
2. Put the flour, yeast, sugar, egg, spice, salt, vanilla paste and the lemon and orange zest in a mixing bowl. Add the butter-milk mixture and knead into a fine dough. Tip: It should break away from the bowl edge.
3. Cover the dough for one hour.
4. Finely chop the mixed peel and mix with the raisins.
5. Knead the dough with the dried fruits and form 12 small balls (like bread rolls). Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper or place in a greased dish. Let them rest again for about 30-60 minutes. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 170C.
6. For the topping: mix the flour and water into a paste. Put in a freezer bag. For piping, cut off a corner.
7. Just before baking: place the “cross” onto the rolls by piping through the cut corner.
8. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until golden.
9. Heat apple jelly (or other light jam like apricot) and glaze the hot cross buns after baking.
10. Cool before eating.
Recipe courtesy of Microplane®