To make the loaf cakes:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4
2. Place the individual loaf cases on a rectangular tray which will hold them all in one tight layer.
3. Lightly roast the pistachios for 5 minutes on a baking tray. Place the ground almonds, rice flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
4. In an electric mixer, or using a bowl and electric whisk, cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs and almond mixture alternately, beating well between each addition.
5. Drizzle in the lemon juice and finally fold in the pistachios. Divide the mixture evenly between the cases. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until risen and the centres bounce back when lightly touched.
To make the syrup:
1. Whilst the cakes are baking, in a small bowl mix 1 tablespoon of icing sugar together with the lemon juice and elderflower cordial. On removal from the oven, immediately prick the surface of the cakes with a cocktail stick and spoon over half of the syrup. Allow the loaves to cool down completely.
To make the glacé icing:
1. Gradually add the remaining syrup I teaspoon at a time to the rest of the icing sugar until it is the consistency of pourable double cream. Add a little extra elderflower cordial if the icing is too thick.
2. Drizzle the icing over the cooled cakes and scatter with the remaining pistachios. Allow the icing to set before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Belvoir