125g softened butter
125g soft brown sugar
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
120g Greek yoghurt
110ml whole milk
130g diced Braeburn apple, peeled finely
For the Cream cheese icing
250g icing sugar
125g cream cheese
12 dehydrated apple slices
4 tbsp shop bought toffee sauce
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
3. Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until light and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
4. Sift in the flour, baking powder, spices and mix. Stir through the Greek yoghurt, milk and diced apple. Using a teaspoon, divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden. Place on a cooling rack.
5. To make the cream cheese icing, add butter to a large mixing bowl and whisk until white and fluffy. Whisk in the icing sugar until combined, followed by the cream cheese – don’t over whisk or the cream cheese may split. Add a splash of milk if you feel the consistency needs adjusting.
6. Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a large open nozzle and pipe a circle of icing on top of each cupcake.
7. Finish each cupcake with a dehydrated apple slice and a drizzle of toffee sauce.
Recipe courtesy of English Apples & Pears