1. Crack the eggs into the milk and mix.
2. Put the flour into a mixing bowl and gradually whisk the eggs and milk into the flour until you have a smooth, lump-free batter.
3. Add the mustard, herbs and some seasoning.
4. Cover and set aside – preferably for a couple of hours.
5. Heat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
6. Heat the oil in a large, deep, metal roasting tin and add the sausages and onions.
7. Cook for around 15 minutes until the sausages are browning. Meanwhile, place the beetroot in a second roasting tray and drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and oil.
8. Add some seasoning and cook in the oven with the sausages.
9. Remove the beetroot after 15 minutes and keep warm.
10. Pour the batter around the sausages and onions and cook for a further 25 minutes – do not open the door during this time.
11. In the meantime, mix together the goats’ cheese and crème fraîche together with a little seasoning to make a dressing.
12. The toad is cooked when it is well-risen and golden brown.
13. Serve cut into wedges, with the beetroot and dressing and a sprinkling of seeds.
Recipe courtesy of Aldi