For the doughnuts:
280g strong white flour plus extra for dusting
¼ tsp salt
7g sachet fast action dried yeast
20g caster sugar
20g soft butter
1 small egg
125 ml lukewarm water
3 Pink Lady® apple, quartered and cored
2 tbsp caster sugar
75ml Pink Lady® apple juice
2 baking trays dusted with flour and a 5.75cm round cutter
Sunflower oil for deep frying
¼ cup yoghurt
Golden caster sugar for dusting
Double cream whipped with a little icing sugar to serve
1. Mix the flour, salt, yeast and sugar in a processor, add the soft butter, egg, yoghurt and water and pulse until smooth. Tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, if necessary add a little more flour, bring into a ball.
2. Clean out the bowl and lightly oil it, put the dough in the bowl and cover with cling film and put in the fridge overnight (the dough can be kept up to 48 hours in the fridge)
3. To make the apple purée and the filling cut the apple quarters into 5mm slices across and place straight into the pan, add the sugar and apple juice. Cover and cook on a moderate heat for about 7 minutes until just softening.
4. Drain over a bowl, keeping the juice and roughly chop the apple and cool. Put 100g to one side and reserve for the filling, and put the rest in a processor with the juice and blitz to a textured puree to create the apple purée.
5. Cut the dough into 4 and work with a piece at a time, keeping the remainder covered as you go. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 5mm thickness or even thinner and stamp out 7 circles from each piece.
6. Put a quarter teaspoon of cooked apple in the centre of each circle dab a little water around the edges and pinch the edges together to seal well.
7. Put on the floured trays and cover with dry cloths and leave about 30 minutes - 1 hour until almost double the size.
8. Heat the oil to 175°C and fry the doughnuts in small batches for about 3-5 minutes until golden, turning them as they cook. Toss in sugar while hot.
9. Serve with the sweetened cream for dipping.
Recipe courtesy of www.pinkladyapples.co.uk