2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
215g can chick peas, drained and rinsed
215g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
400g cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
12 chipolata sausages
4-6 Bannisters Yorkshire Family Farm Baked Jacket Potatoes or 12 Bannisters Yorkshire Family Farm Little Jacket Potatoes
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and fry until pale golden.
2. Add the carrot, celery and pepper to the pan and fry until soft, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the garlic and spices and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, puree, drained chick peas and beans, with 100ml water, then bring the mixture to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 mins.
4. Meanwhile cook the chipolata sausages under a medium grill, turning until they are browned on all sides, cool slightly.
5. Uncover the beans and simmer uncovered for the final 5 mins, until sauce has thickened.
6. Serve the beans spooned into hot potatoes with the sausages alongside.
Fun idea: For added spooky fun, cut the sausages to make fingers and put a flaked almond at the end of each to look like a witches’ fingernail. Stick these into each of the bean filled potatoes.
Recipe courtesy of Bannisters