A little Trex, for greasing
100g Self-raising flour
¼ tsp Salt
25g Ground rice or semolina
100g Golden caster sugar
100g Porridge oats
4 level tbsp Golden syrup
½ level tsp Bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp Milk
75g Chocolate chips (milk, plain or white)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan oven 170°C/ Gas Mark 5. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets with a little Trex.
2. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl, then stir in the ground rice or semolina, caster sugar and porridge oats.
3. Melt the golden syrup and Trex over a medium heat, taking care that it doesn’t get too hot. Pour into the mixing bowl and stir well to combine with the dry ingredients.
4. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk and stir into the biscuit mixture, then add half the chocolate chips and stir them in.
5. Form half the mixture into 10 balls, placing 5 onto each baking sheet, well spaced apart. Flatten the balls slightly and scatter half the remaining chocolate chips over them, pressing them lightly into the biscuit dough.
6. Bake for about 6-8 minutes until golden brown. Cool for a few minutes, then ease them off the baking sheets whilst still warm and cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Make a second batch of cookies with the remaining dough.
Recipe courtesy of Trex