When you're looking to upcycle your mirror frame, you want it to be as simple as possible
That's where this tutorial from Rust-Oleum comes in. Spray paint presents you with a quick and easy solution that will ensure you can cover all the hard to reach areas. There are so many colours to choose from so you can make sure you find the shade for you too!
You will need:
A mirror frame of your choice (metal or wood)
Rust-Oleum Universal Spray Paint or Rust-Oleum Chalky Finish Furniture Paint
Rust-Oleum Furniture Finishing Wax (if using Chalky Finish Furniture Paint)
1. Move your chosen piece to a well-ventilated area and place on top of newspaper or a dust sheet.
2. As with any painting ensure the surfaces to be painted are clean, dry and free from loose paint, grease and contaminants.
Top Tip! Previously painted surfaces should be abraded to provide a paint-friendly surface. Inspect the paintwork – if it is flaking or cracked, use a wire brush before sanding.
3. Wipe down the surface with a damp cloth to remove any loose dust and dry off fully before priming.
4. Mask off any areas of the object not to be painted to make sure you get a clean, tidy edge.
5. Spray Paint: If you are using Universal Spray Paint, give it a good shake to ensure it is thoroughly mixed. Using your selected colour, hold the can approximately 30cm from the surface of the mirror frame and spray in a steady back and forth motion, slightly overlapping with each stroke.
Wait one hour until the first coat is dry before applying another coat to deepen and even the shade.
Chalky Finish Furniture Paint: Apply two thin coats of Rust-Oleum Chalky Finish Furniture Paint using a back and forth motion, slightly overlapping the strokes to avoid joining lines. Remember to leave four hours between coats to ensure a smooth finish.
If you’ve opted for Rust-Oleum Chalky Finish Furniture Paint, seal the paintwork with Rust-Oleum Furniture Finishing Wax in clear (or dark depending on your desired look).
To do this all you need is either a clean cloth or a small brush. Apply a small amount of the wax and apply in a circular motion for a long-lasting protective sheen.