House rules - they can be a tricky beast to navigate at times
In fact, with 55 per cent of Brits saying they have rules in place, ScS were inspired to investigate some of the strangest across the country, along with the more random behaviour guests have exhibited...
House guests have found themselves a bit perplexed when turning up at a house, only to be asked to sit on the floor, instead of the furniture, while other guests found being told to not talk at the dinner table an odd prospect.
The 10 weirdest requests from homeowners were:
1. Don't sit on any furniture - please sit on the floor
2. Don't use too much loo roll
3. Tell the cat you like him, or he won't forgive you
4. No non-vegan food is allowed in the house
5. Wash your hands and feet before entering the living area
6. Don't eat too many biscuits when offered
7. Don't sit on my deceased dog's side of the sofa
8. Take your shoes and socks off
9. Don’t put too much weight on the cushion when you put your head back
10. No talking at the dinner table
On the flip side, homeowners find the idea of guests coming to their home and smoking indoors to be the biggest offence they could commit, while Brits spending a long time on their phone when visiting was another rude manoeuvre.
The full top 10 was:
1. Smoking indoors in the premises
2. Not treating the property with respect
3. Not taking their shoes off at the door
4. Not cleaning up their own mess
5. Putting a drink down without a coaster
6. People putting their feet on the sofa
7. Spending too much time on their phone
8. Outstaying their welcome
9. Not saying thank you
Commenting, Dale Gillespie from ScS, said: "While we might love playing the host, we tend to love our homes more. Inviting guests who are inconsiderate in our home is a difficult subject to approach, especially with people we're not close to. Therefore, it's no surprise that people lay down the law to nip any disrespect in the bud! Of course, this means that some people get a little carried away, and we have seen some quite peculiar house rules!"