With Mother's Day approaching, it's time to start thinking about what standout gift you can treat your mum to
Ideally, you want it to be both special and unique, and for it to show the time and thought you've put into it. That's where this clever tutorial from Dremel comes in - it has the perfect suggestion for a personalised gift that you can give on the 31st March.
You will need:
4 glass coasters
Template (of your choice)
Diamond tipped cutter (7103 and 7105)
Silicon Carbide Grinding Stone (83322)
Silicon Carbide Grinding Stone 19.8 MM (85422)
1. Begin by unscrewing the EZ twist nose cap.
2. Screw the driver cap on to the Dremel 3000 which will function as an adapter to attach the flexible shaft to the tool.
3. Screw on the flex shaft and tighten until secure. Then hang your Dremel on the holder, allowing for greater manoeuvrability.
4. Now that the tool is appropriately set up, insert the accessory. When engraving glass, always use the diamond-tipped accessories. For this project, the 7103 cutter was used to complete the fine detail.
5. Cut out your desired template neatly. Then stick the template on the bottom of the glass coaster, so that the template pattern can be seen through the glass.
6. Take a permanent marker to go over the template outline. This makes the pattern stand out clearly.
7. Set the speed on your Dremel to 5 and gently begin to engrave the glass following the lines on the template. If you would like to make a thicker line, it is recommended to repeatedly go over the line instead of applying pressure.
8. Then use a silicon carbide grindstone (84922) as this allows for the lines to be made wider and also gives a cleaner finish.
9. Using the acetone, you can now remove the remnants of the marker and the first coaster is ready.
10. Cut out the second template and stick it on the back of the coaster, following the procedure in steps 6 and 7.
11. Draw over the template onto the coaster with a permanent marker to make the outline stand out. Then start to etch using the diamond cutter accessory (7103).
12. The filling is great with the silicon carbide grindstone 19.8 mm (85422). Ensure the attachment is fitted tightly.
13. For smaller areas we recommend the silicon carbide grindstone 3.2mm (85422) as this allows you to be very precise. Then use a damp cloth to clean the coaster.
Tutorial courtesy of Dremel