Our heart is something we rely on without really thinking about it
It delivers that all important oxygen and nutrients to our cells, removing waste products and pumping blood around the body. It's central to good health and subsequently, taking care of it is a must.
However, there's some good news – making some simple lifestyle changes can have a big impact.
To set you on your way, California Walnuts have partnered with dietitian Sian Porter, who is sharing her five tips for a healthy heart...
1. Enjoy a handful of nuts on a daily basis. Whether they’re sprinkled on your cereal, added to salads, or eaten as a snack, there are numerous health benefits that make them worth including.
2. Stay active. This means finding and participating in an activity you enjoy, be it walking, swimming or dancing. A great way to make yourself stick to your chosen exercise plan will be to find yourself an exercise buddy who can keep you motivated. Maintaining a brisk pace while talking will be an enjoyable way to catch up.
3. Why not add some physical activity to your day-to-day routine? Even taking small steps will help. For instance, regularly getting up from your desk, going for a lunchtime walk, taking the stairs instead of the lift, walking local journeys that you'd normally take the car for, and even stretching while the TV's on will all help.
4. The centre of a green leafy vegetable (for instance cabbage and lettuce) is the heart. Make sure half of your plate at meal times are vegetables and add them first. You can then add non-creamy side salads to your sandwich at lunchtime to give yourself a heart healthy diet.
5. Relax and make sure you respect your need for sleep. Managing your stress levels will play a big part here, as will sorting out the length you sleep, your routine and environment. Failing to get enough shut eye will impact your food choices and weight gain too.