This common action could have disastrous repercussions for homeowners...

This common action could have disastrous repercussions for homeowners...


Posted 11th July by Peter Byrne

Research has revealed a common activity many of us are guilty of could have disastrous repercussions

A study, conducted by www.hillarys.co.uk, has found Brits love showing off what they have on social media, with 80 per cent of us bragging about a holiday, while a further 51 per cent love to show off their latest expensive buy. However, this could be responsible for the one in 12 who end up burgled - especially when they share their location online prior to the burglary taking place.

Participants in the study were asked ‘When you get expensive gifts or make an expensive purchase, do you share it on your social media channels?’, with over half (51 per cent) admitting they will. 21 per cent of those said they did it was purely to share the news, while the other 79 per cent said their post was typically accompanied by an image or video.

When they were then asked if they had the location tagging on their posts, 52 per cent admitted they would, which rose to 79 per cent when they were on holiday.

When they were quizzed on the most indulgent item they had posted about, respondents said the top answer was 'a new car' (31 per cent), followed by 'expensive jewellery' (17 per cent) and 'a new home' (14 per cent).

On top of this, those taking part were asked whether they would typically update their social media channels, so their followers would know they were on holiday too, while four fifths of respondents (81 per cent) admitted to doing this too.

Researchers then asked if they ever had their property burgled after doing such a status - and one in 12 (eight per cent) said they had. 52 per cent said they had location tagging on in their posts too.

The most commonly stolen items were:

1 Electrical goods (89 per cent)

2 Jewellery (74 per cent)

3 Cash (66 per cent)

4 Expensive clothing or shoes (32 per cent)

5 Important documents (13 per cent)

Participants were then asked about whether they had posted similar on their social media channels since being burgled, with 67 per cent saying they had. 58 per cent of those who had previously had their location turned on now turned it off, with 29 per cent saying they would but weren't sure how to - 13 per cent said they had not.

Tara Hall, spokesperson for www.hillarys.co.uk, said: "Social media is a great tool for people to connect and share the things that they’re interested in, however it’s important to be aware of oversharing sensitive information such as your location for security reasons."






Related articles

The ultimate guide to buying a mattress

The ultimate guide to buying a mattress


Primark's new FRIENDS collection is all we want this week

Primark's new FRIENDS collection is all we want this week


Transform your garden into a tropical paradise with Lidl's new range

Transform your garden into a tropical paradise with Lidl's new range


Two must-try recipes to indulge in this weekend...

Two must-try recipes to indulge in this weekend...



Subscribe to our newsletter